Where the Creativity Flows Like Wine

FOAM got hands-on at Create + Cultivate 2012 in Palm Springs

Backstage // Kathryn Romeyn // 10/16/12
E-mail / Share / RSS

Making flower crowns with Cult Gaia!
WIN this gift bag from Create...
Our Senior Editor Kathryn working...
Palm Springs is always colorful–the...
Ready for yoga with ZICO.
Our Shelterblack painted planters...

We’ve never felt as domestic and inspired as we did for the last two days at the Ace Hotel & Swim Club in Palm Springs, California, for (No Subject) LA’s Create and Cultivate, a weekend of workshops by craftsmen and bloggers, cocktail mixers, yoga and more. FOAM was the media sponsor of the two-day event in the desert, where everyone got their hands dirty and their creativity flowing.

Things kicked off Sunday with a champagne reception, after which attendees got a lesson in integrating their real-life and online worlds from brand strategist Jasmine Takanikos. Next, Shelterblack’s Valerie Killeen and her boyfriend and design partner, Jonathan Boyd, taught the group it’s okay to get a little messy in the quest to make a cute personalized “Garden State” succulent planter box.

The rest of the day was equally stimulating for both minds and hands. Element Eden’s Alexandra Swanson and Brooke Kelley gave a lesson in macramé, crafting ’70s-inspired plant hangers. Filmmaker Eddie O’Keefe of The Teenage Head gave a screening and spoke about cultivating inspiration. Later, before a delicious dinner under the stars, the group watched a series of Leaf.tv segments by Erin Falconer and Because I’m Addicted’s Geri Hirsch on building the perfect bar and creating delicious libations. The duo then helped everyone craft their own artisanal cocktails made with fresh fruits and herbs.

The next morning brought an open-air yoga class, thanks to ZICO, followed by Cult Gaia designer Jasmin Larian leading a class on creating fresh-flower crowns. The domesticity continued as Poketo’s team taught us to make the Korean classic dish kimchee. And last but not least was a workshop with Lumi where we turned photographs into art using colorful inkodye. We may have all gone home with oodles of new crafts, skills and gifts—including mixtapes based on the gathered group’s favorite songs —but the most fulfilling part was making so many new like-minded creative friends. We can’t wait for the next one!

We know not all of you could make it to Palm Springs and we don't want you to feel left out! Tell us what inspires you to be creative in the comments below for a chance to win a Create + Cultivate gift bag! Here's what you'll get:

+ Copy of FOAM
+ Copious tote bag + credit coupon
+ Weldon Owen Publishers' Style Yourself book
+ Native Union Pop Phone
+ REDSTAR Ink calendar
+ Cult Gaia coupon
+ ZICO hair tie
+ Candlessentials candle
+ Feel More Better T-shirt

Like our Instagram diary? See the entire weekend unfold @foammag or on Facebook!

27 Comments

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:10PM Sarah Murray

I am most inspired to be creative after my yoga class, I come out feeling fresh, vibrant, and calm and I often want my room to express that, I clean it and have ideas for wall decorations or some nice organizational pieces. Wish I had been at Create and Cultivate, stuck here on the (cold!) East Coast and didn't learn about the Montauk one until after it happened:(

Oct 17, 2012 at 01:25PM Sophie H

I am inspired to be creative when my kitchen is full of food. One of the main ways I'm creative is through cooking and making up new recipes. I never measure and always just throw things together and it usually ends up being pretty delish! My favourite thing to do is make up new vegetarian or vegan recipes and serve them to my meat eating family and for them to love it! Just goes to show that veg/vegan food can be amazing too! : ) i'm also creatively inspired on a beautiful summers day when i go outside and play my ukulele in my backyard! I miss summer already! This Create + Cultivate weekend sounded amaaaazing and right up my alley! Wish they would do one in Canada! Cheers!

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:05PM Hannah Hicks

I'm most inspired when I surround myself with creative, active people who all encourage each other to make the most of each day! When I find myself around all the positive energy I cannot help but to create....and cultivate!!

Oct 17, 2012 at 04:05PM Hannah Hicks

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:49PM Lynn Dobriko

I most inspired after working out at the gym. I feel alive and full of spirit.

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:31PM Vanessa B

( I have a few things). What inspires me to be creative is when I'm listening to music: and usually it's 1940's stuff. I also always find myself inspired after looking through one of Charmaine Olivia's pieces of art. I look at a different one each time, so that I paint (or draw) something that isn't so similar to my last piece. And to conclude, the places I surround myself with, like art museums in Laguna Beach is where I come up with my ideas of what to make. =)

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:37PM foamysoapuproar

I’m inspired to be creative by the weather and the way it makes me feel. The shining sun calls for trips to the crafts store with my bff to make dream catchers while watching Troop Beverly Hills. The pouring rain calls for trips to the bookstore so I can read all the expensive magazines & pick up my copy of foam to last me till the next month! I am inspired by the nostalgia of old vacations and road trips to Palm Springs & Santa Cruz with my mum. I am inspired to be creative by everything that is happening around me & the happiness that comes from a DIY life. There's no better feeling then having the ability to make something on your own!☺

Oct 18, 2012 at 04:53PM Alicia Nicholls

I am inspired by the world. All things that surround me are inspiring. I find that creativity is something that I can find anywhere, no matter what it is. People inspire me to be creative. Life is inspiring. I can't imagine the world without creativity. It's like anything can spark a light and make me feel inspired to create whatever I want.

Oct 18, 2012 at 06:06PM Valerie Hoffmann

I'm inspired by a walk on the beach in Montauk. It doesn't matter if it's summer, when the crowds of people abound and they're happy, lounging in the sun with a summer drink or beer, laughing and singing...or if it's winter, and my husband and I have just hiked to the seal haul-out and have the good luck to find 20 seals lounging on the rocks, much like the summer sunbathers! The beauty of our surroundings, the sounds of the birds, the crashing of the ocean on the shore...all of it inspires my creativity!

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:22PM Amanda DiGiondomenico

I feel inspired to be creative when I finish a good book. Great writing with a strong voice makes me want to get right back at my computer to bang away at my keyboard. Also, scrolling through adorable blogs and my instagram feed makes me want to go exploring.

Oct 18, 2012 at 07:59PM susansmoaks

I am inspired to be creative when i am with my husband. he is a very creative person and he pushes me to create as well.

Oct 18, 2012 at 08:11PM jaclynnt

Being an actor constantly inspires me to create new stories, new films, and to find inspiration in anything & everything. :)

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:04PM Makawahine

You know what helps me be more creative, the students I work with everyday. Their minds are unafraid to color the bark of a tree purple or mix match something that normally doesn't go together. A lot of the children with special needs i work with excel at painting and creating because it gives them a space with no rules. Whatever they create is fantastic because it came from their raw imagination. As we grow older, I find that imagination gets packed into a box. Children let their imagination swim through an ocean of ideas. So watching them explore creativity, inspires me :)

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:28PM Megan McKean

my family is a charachter that inspires everyday

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:55PM Alyssa Watson

What inspires me is analyzing my favorite songs by visualizing the beats in my head. Also, looking up at the sky.

Oct 19, 2012 at 01:27AM A W

What inspires me everyday is my Grandfather. Though he's passed on for many years, his ability to just learn something new everyday helps me.
It keeps the juices in my brain going. One new wrinkle a day is what I say.

Oct 19, 2012 at 02:37AM Jillian Tomlinson

What inspires me most to be creative is the need for positive change within myself and throughout all of the world. My perspective of the world and knowing how much more beautiful everyone and everything could be is the stem for all of my motivation. Change is NOT going to be easy at all, and nothing brilliant comes easy. With enough persistence and passion, anything can be accomplished. Farming, painting, drawing, and ceramics, yoga and meditation all inspire me the most. A relaxed mind is a creative mind- something I focus on daily.

Oct 19, 2012 at 04:33PM Nichole Rovello

My new baby girl growing inside of me has been my biggest inspiration! I learned how to crochet just so I could make her these adorable outfits, shoes and hair accessories. I hope to inspire creativity in her as well.

Oct 19, 2012 at 09:08PM Pam Flynn

My precious 94 year old dad inspires me everyday to be better and stronger and always keep laughing. He has inspired me to stay focused on what is important to me, never give up, and to remember that everyday is a gift. I have continued my writing and singing because he inspires me to be creative in everything I do.

Oct 24, 2012 at 07:07PM sarah phipps

inspiration is a powerful thing! i feel like it hits me from every direction. from a photograph of the open ocean to a bright colored bracelet. if its got a weave pattern i promise you i can put it in your hair. if it's got an amazing color sceam it can go onto a canvace! most importantly if it moves your soul you should do it! I'm a native of arizona and the ocean just seems to call my name. i want to surf the world but my first move is to take my fittness into my own hands and stop making excuses. i look for motivation in everything that crosses my path. its gotta move you, thatd how you know its pwerful!

Oct 25, 2012 at 05:07AM barkergirl

My inspiration changes day to day, alot depends on the weather that day-warm sunny days I may be more inclined to 'get dirty': messy art like a large abstract piece, refinish a piece of furniture...rainy days I enjoy making jewelry, taking photos of everything from my cats to something odd that strikes me like stacking books as high as I can and experimenting with color and black & white... the cold weather is my my favorite fashion inspiration-I love layering clothes, mixing so many different colors and patterns of scarves, hats, boots. i have fun with fashion year round but winter is my favorite-even Spirithoods has a 'snow' hood this year for snowboarding-I can't wait!

Oct 25, 2012 at 05:23PM Letisia Cruz

Swimming, spending the day in the ocean, listening to music, writing, long hikes on cool days, and reading FOAM!

Oct 25, 2012 at 07:37PM kimhall3

When I have music playing, that's when things happen! I need to be rested too and have food. If I don't have that, I am a useless!

Oct 26, 2012 at 04:50AM Jeneeka Perera

What inspires me the most is when I get a breath of fresh air. Currently I go to school in San Luis Obispo and just taking the time to walk around the quaint small town and soak up everything from its trademarks to its hidden nooks, inspires be to be creative and see things for more than their current purpose.

Oct 29, 2012 at 01:43PM Cassandra Smith

My crazy friends inspire me! We all have different personalities and styles so we blend our styles together to come up with crazy outfit combitions, amazing music playlists, and outlandish activities to do on the weekends!

Oct 31, 2012 at 05:45AM Jessica D

Sitting at my piano playing a new song, or reliving a favorite inspires me to explore new tonalities and chord progressions and improvisations.

Oct 31, 2012 at 03:00PM Julie Walls

My 3 teens and the beach inspire me to be creative ALL the time. Teenagers, ocean breezes and salt life are always breaths of fresh air which I can't live without & feel blessed to have in my life!!