Have you met our Health & Fitness guest bloggers Petite Physique? Get to know them now!
Cleansing is a crucial part of not only our diets, but our lives. We have 25-35 feet of intestines in our bodies. Think of all the food that travels through them during the entire span of our lives—it's estimated at about six tons! And if you eat a typical American diet, there's a lot of junk traveling through your body, leaving harmful remains in your bowls.
Cleansing is extremely important because it’s one of the body’s natural ways of staying healthy. A cleanse can be achieved in various ways. The most common diets include fasting, eating certain foods and/or consuming a lot of liquids. A cleanse can also be accomplished by colonic irrigation, but that's a discussion for another time. Today we’re going to focus on foods that are great cleansers for the body. Just eating these healthy foods will go a long way toward giving your gastrointestinal a top-to-bottom polishing:
1. Blueberries are low in sugar and high in fiber. They contain antioxidants, which make them a “super food”. Also, blueberries are known to help fight abdominal fat. Who doesn’t want a muffin-free top?
2. Avocados are high in fiber, potassium, vitamin E, and healthy fats. We believe they are a must-have in a daily diet. We try to eat at least half of an avocado a day. It’s a great way to spice up a salad, sandwich or wrap.
3. Flaxseed and Chia seeds are well known for their essential fatty acids. But did you also know that they are a wonderful source of fiber and powerful phytochemicals, which lubricate the bowels? We like to add Chia seeds to our water and coconut water. And flaxseed is great because you can put it in just about anything. Try adding it to oatmeal, smoothies and when baking.
4. Cucumbers are high in minerals, fiber and have an incredible hydrating quality.
5. Sauerkraut has billions of live probiotics, enzymes and active sulfur compounds, which provide detoxification for the liver and GI tract. Don’t like the taste? Add soy sauce or hummus!
6. Cabbage contains numerous anticancer and antioxidant compounds and helps the liver break down excess hormones. Cabbage also cleanses the digestive tract and neutralizes some of the damaging compounds found in cigarette smoke. It also strengthens the liver’s ability to detoxify.
(For even more benefits, try making cabbage sauerkraut!)
7. Seaweed could be the most unrecognized vegetable in the western world. Studies at McGill University in Montreal showed that seaweeds bind to radioactive waste in the body. Seaweed also binds to heavy metals to help eliminate them from the body. In addition, it is a powerhouse of minerals and trace minerals. Try using seaweed wraps instead of bread or tortillas.
8. Apples are high in pectin, a type of fiber that binds to cholesterol and heavy metals in the body, they help eliminate toxic build up and to cleanse the intestines. An apple a day, keeps the doctor away!
9. Coconuts can boost thyroid function by up to 20 percent. That is almost shocking! Having an efficient thyroid is essential for our bodies to carry out several functions including boosting our metabolism and energy production. Coconuts are loaded with organic acids, electrolytes, such as potassium. They are also a potent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal it is a great cleanser of our guts and is something that can help heal the stomach. When cooking try using coconut oil instead of butter and add coconut water to your diet instead of that sugary drink.
10. Lemons are excellent liver detoxifiers; lemons contain high amounts of vitamin C, a vitamin needed by the body to make an important substance called glutathione. Glutathione helps the liver detoxify harmful chemicals. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to pure water to support your cleansing efforts on a daily basis. For an even better cleanse, have a warm class of lemon water first thing in the morning.
Even if you don’t plan on cleansing, by adding these simple foods to your daily diet the benefits you will reap will be unbelievable!
Your Health Gurus,
xoxo Kara & Tiffany
Tiffany and Kara are also unlocking the dietary secrets to beautiful hair!