Have you met our Health & Fitness guest bloggers Petite Physique? Get to know them now!
“Beauty draws us with a single hair.” -Alexander Pope
Alexander might be right. In a recent study, men have been found to prefer long-haired women. An evolutionary explanation for this is that malnutrition and deficiencies in minerals and vitamins causes loss of hair or hair changes. Hair therefore indicates your state of health and nutrition over the last two to three years. Lustrous hair is also often a cross-cultural preference.
Whenever we’re in a group of women, we always seem to get on the topic of hair. It usually starts with someone being unsatisfied with their hair growth, thickness, and texture. Hair grows, on average, a half-inch per month give or take. Speeding up the process is almost impossible. But it is possible to get longer, stronger and more luxurious hair:
Add Amino Acids to Your Diet
• Including a Triple Omega vitamin can do wonders. With this dietary supplement you receive omega 3,6, and 9. These amino acids are found in fish, flaxseed, safflower, and olive oils. When purchasing an omega make sure the vitamins are measured in the 100s mg.
• Try adding ground flaxseed to oatmeal, cereal, smoothies, and baking goods.
• Embrace olive oil by excluding fattening dressings and using olive oil instead on salads.
• Add chia seeds to water for even more amino acids—they are also fun to drink!
• A good amino acid to look for specifically is L-Cystine. It's a sulfur-containing amino acid that helps build strength in the hair.
Look for Biotin (200mcgs or more)
Biotin is very important for hair health. It's needed for healthy hair, skin, and nails. It may even prevent hair loss in some men. The best hair vitamins should have at least 200 mcgs+ in the daily dose.
Take Iron Supplements
Iron is also terrific to add to your diet for healthy hair. Many women wonder why pregnant women have such great hair. Well, part of that is due to prenatal vitamins. In a prenatal you are receiving more iron than usual. Adding iron will also help with skins paleness, but be careful because iron usually increases constipation. We would suggest adding only 7 mgs daily and taking it from there.
These are just great vitamins to add to your daily diet to unlock healthy hair. Usually, by taking these supplements one will notice a difference within a month. We first noticed a difference in our nails, they are extremely strong and grow incredibly fast. We also get a lot of complements on how thick and healthy our hair is, and now, you can too.
Your Health Gurus,
xoxo Kara & Tiff
Loved this blog post? Check out Petite Physique's guide to detoxifying your life!